plant-based sushi rolls
(gluten free, dairy free, vegan)
1 c. cooked short grain sushi rice
2 sheets seaweed nori
1 carrot sliced thinly
1 cucumber sliced thinly
1. take a thin, clean dish towel and soak in water. wring it out as much as you can until it is only damp. you do not want it dripping wet.
2. lay town out on the counter, and lay 1 nori sheet on it, rough side up
3. scoop rice onto nori sheet and spread it out evenly in a thin layer, covering the sheet except for the last inch of the side farthest away from you
4. lay your toppings in an even line horizontally close to the edge that is nearest you
5. begin slowly lifting the towel and curling the edge nearest you over the toppings. press down gently, firmly, and evenly from the outside edges to the inside
6. use fingers to curl the edge in and slowly roll it forward. use the towel to help you lift, and press the roll every 1/2 – 1 inch.
7. once you get to the edge, use a drip of water and slide it along the portion of the nori sheet that doesnt have rice. finish curling the roll until it has covered the final edge. press again
8. the roll should be sturdy enough to cut! wet your knife and slice in 1 inch rolls, wetting your knife between every cut to avoid ripping the nori sheet.
9. dip in soy sauce, eel sauce, siracha, spicy mayo, or just alone!
** do not use raw fish without researching how to safely handle raw meat to avoid food borne illness. that is why i prefer vegan sushi 🙂 **