spaghetti squash w/ lentil marinara!
(gluten free, dairy free, vegan)
1 small/medium spaghetti squash
1 can plain marinara sauce
1/2 c. lentils, cooked
3 cloves garlic
1 large carrot
1 tbsp dried basil
1/2 tbsp red pepper flakes
3 tbsp avocado (or olive) oil
** optional: parmesan cheese
1. preheat oven to 375
2. prepare squash by stabbing holes in it with a fork, and microwave it for 2 mins, turn on it’s other side and microwave for 2 more mins. (this softens it enough to cut)
cut in half, lengthwise & scoop out seeds with a spoon
drizzle oil evenly over squash and salt & pepper to taste
3. use a 9×13 glass dish & spray with non-stick oil.
place squash halves face down in the pan, and place in the oven for 35-45 minutes
4. cook lentils according to directions on the bag.
5. meanwhile, mince garlic, onion & carrots.
place them in a sauce pan with basil, red pepper flakes, and some salt.
add 1 tbsp of oil & add another tbsp once that diminishes
continue to saute until the onions become transparent
6. add sauce & lentils to the sauce pan and stir for 5-10 minutes
7. remove squash from the oven & allow to cool
8. pour lentil marinara into the squash boat & fork away the edges to get a “spaghetti” consistency!
9. ** optional – add parmesan cheese & place under broiler for 2 mins to melt