Okay, this recipe comes straight from the heart. I LOVE alfredo sauce. Ever since I’ve started eating dairy free, alfredo is the one thing I really felt like I couldn’t live without. It is my ultimate comfort food, what I ate at every restaurant, and what I dream about at night. SO I created this recipe to mimic the creamy, garlic, italian feel that I miss so much! I hope you enjoy it.
vegan roasted red pepper & mushroom alfredo
(vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free)
- 1 package silken tofu
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (rice, soy or cashew would do)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2-1 cup mushrooms (I used shitake for the meaty flavor)
- 1/4-1/2 cup roasted red peppers (I used from a can)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 package whole wheat (or gluten free) spaghetti noodles
- In a high-speed blender, empty your package of tofu. Slowly add almond milk as you blend to get your desired consistency (thick or thin). Add nutritional yeast, salt, pepper & garlic powder. Blend until smooth. (at this point i would do a taste test and add more spices to get the taste you like)
- Put a medium sized pot over medium-high heat. Put coconut oil in the bottom, and add shallots, minced garlic & thyme. Mix & allow to simmer until shallots become translucent.
- Add mushrooms & roasted red peppers! I added a little more coconut oil to make sure that i didn’t burn the shallots.
- Pour your “alfredo sauce” into the pan with the shallot mix & turn down heat to medium. Continue to simmer for about 5-10 minutes or until sauce combines with the veggies.
- Meanwhile, boil your noodles of choice.
- Once alfredo is finished, serve over a bed of noodles!
I hope you enjoy!