Inflammation is a normal part of every day life. We all experience it, from headaches, aching muscles, tummy aches, digestive upsets, to simply just being stressed. Inflammation is the largest contributor to chronic disease. I like trying to live as inflammation-free as possible seeing as I am very sensitive to inflammation… However, it’s very difficult to avoid entirely.
Tumeric mylk is one of my favorite anti-inflammatory remedies. It always helps me to feel better when I’m having an off day, or feeling bloated. I also will drink it in the mornings if I wake up feeling achy, and even before bed to help me sleep!
How it works — Tumeric contains “curcumin”, which is known to block the 2 main enzymes in the body that cause swelling & inflammation in body tissues and organs. Curcumin does exist on its own, but it is more bio-available in tumeric form & 8-10 times more absorbable to the body. To increase the absorption of tumeric, you should also pair it with a pinch of black pepper.
I like to add a little bit of coconut oil to my tumeric drink as well because it is anti-microbial, it is good for restoring a harmonious balance to the gut bacteria. It also helps you to feel more satiated. Don’t go overboard, just a little is enough 🙂
- 12 oz of unsweetened almond milk (or vanilla almond milk if you don’t mind the sugar)
- 1 tsp organic tumeric powder
- dash ceylon cinnamon
- dash organic ginger powder
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp raw honey (I actually use monk fruit extract)
- Warm almond milk over medium high heat in a small pot until you reached a little hotter than desired temperature.
- Pour milk into a blender with all other ingredients
- Blend on high for 1-2 minutes or until combined
- Allow to cool to desired temperature (letting sit helps spices combine/activate)
- Mix again gently with a spoon & enjoy!
p.s. there is likely to be some spice residue at the bottom. I usually just plug my nose and chug it back for the good benefits 😉 hehe