One of the BEST non-toxic changes that I made in my home was switching out my toxic cleaning supplies for a more green, non-toxic alternative; essential oils!
What’s all the hype about essential oils anyways? Although they can seem a little expensive, they are actually a great way to save money, as they can go a loooong way with a little bottle. You get a nice bang for your buck! They have many purposes as well, which is why I love them. You can clean, cook, heal, & mask any smell.
I love cleaning with essential oils because:
- they have natural anti-microbial effects (without killing all the GOOD bacteria!)
- you can use different oils for cleaning different things (the air, a surface, a window, clothing, etc.)
- they smell so good, naturally
- you can have a clean home while also having a healthy home
- you don’t have to worry about your babies swallowing toxic cleaning supplies
So now that you can see how AWE SUM essential oils are, here are some simple switches you can make to your conventional cleaners!
- MULTI-SURFACE CLEANER – I like to use the “on guard” doterra blend or “theives” young living blend (10 drops for 12oz water). If you just want a simple oil, I like combining lemon & peppermint diluted in water (5 drops each for 12oz of water)
- PURIFY THE AIR – I enjoy the “purify” oil doterra blend. I also do a combo of lemon, melaleuca, peppermint, and eucalyptus in my diffuser. (a diffuser is a little machine that spreads the oil into the air using water, simply put)
- MOP THE FLOOR – My favorite mopping sud combo is 12oz water, 2 tsp “dr. bronner” castile soap (peppermint) and 10 drops lemon. OR plain “dr bronners” castile soap and 10 drops doterra’s on guard blend.
- LAUNDRY DETERGENT – 1/4 c “dr bronners” lavender castile soap, 1/4 c water, 5 drops frankincense or melaleuca. Throw this in like normal laundry detergent with a large load.
- DRYER BALLS – Buy or make wool dryer balls (blog post coming soon). Add 5 drops per ball of any of your favorite smells! I like lavender or orange 🙂
- FURNITURE & CARPET CLEANER – 1/4 c Apple Cider Vinegar, 1/4 “dr bronners” castile soap, 10 drops lemon, 1.5 c water. Put into a spray bottle and spray on affected area. Let sit for 5 minutes and scrub with a wash cloth until stain is removed.
- WINDOW CLEANER – 1/2 c vinegar, 1 c water, 10 drops peppermint oil.
Above I pictured the castile soap brand that I LOVE, it is a great non-toxic replacement for anything that needs soap. Dr. Bronners. It comes in many different smells but my favs are peppermint (pictured) and lavender. I also enjoy using doTerra’s On Guard cleaning concentrate for many of the things listed above. Just dilute with water!
Anyways – after making the switch I saw significant improvement in my son’s asthma reactions. I also feel that it helped ME a lot with the hormone imbalances and digestive problems I was experiencing. Many conventional cleaning supplies contain estrogenic effects (mess with your hormones) or are toxic for the body and put unnecessary strain on your liver, thyroid, immune system and gut! I also see that most of them kill 99.9% of ALL bacteria in your home.
Did you know that bacteria (good bacteria) is super important to our health & immune system? Killing all the good bacteria is not something you want to do to maintain a healthy home. Using essential oils will remove the bad bacteria while also keeping harmony with all the good bacteria in the home.
So what are you waiting for? Make the switch!
Comment some of YOUR favorite ways to clean using oils below!